Awards were presented at the MATSOL 2013 Conference.
Anne Dow Award for Excellence and Creativity
Cynthia Soo Hoo, Josiah Quincy School, Boston
For leadership in developing collaboration that promotes the academic and linguistic achievement of English language learners.
MATSOL Teacher of the Year
Sima Kirsztajn, Edith C. Baker School, Brookline
For excellence in the education of English language learners.
Linda Schulman Innovation Award Grants
Recipients received grants to support pedagogical projects that benefit English Language Learners by improving their language skills or increasing their understanding of American culture.
- Tiffany Probasco, Benjamin Franklin Institute of Technology, Boston: “History’s Ballad: Telling America’s History through Music”
- Jim Meyer, Josiah Quincy Upper School, Boston: “Guided Inquiry into Topics In American Culture”
- Patricia Bagnell, Braintree High School: “Using technology to accelerate learning for older ELLs with little or no English”
- Ellen Feldman, Bunker Hill Community College: “Greening ESL in the Classroom”
- Janis Sokop, McMahon School: “The McMahon Café: Coffee and Conversation about Books for Kids”
- Caitlin Shelburne, Francis M. Leahy Elementary School, Lawrence: “iPods for Innovation”
- Erin Shimala, Greater New Bedford Regional Vocational Technical High School: “Increasing Understanding of American Culture through Art”
- Anna Bashmakova, M. L. Donovan Elementary School, Randolph: “Empowering with Words: Vocabulary Workshop for English Language Learners”
- Jessica Farmer and Elisabel Calcano, Chandler Magnet School, Worcester: “Our Celebrations!”
- Abby Wagner, Chelsea High School Bridge Academy, Chelsea: “On-Site Research and Observation”